Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Beware the Starbucks Bran Muffin

So, procrastination has its uses. Like, this morning as I was working myself up to getting down to work, I figured I'd check out the nutritional info on the bran muffin I'd just scarfed with my morning coffee. I actually like bran muffins. I'm not just eating them because they're supposed to be good for me. They're not too sweet, kinda nutty. You don't feel like you've just eaten dessert. On the other hand, you also don't feel like you've just eaten a McDonald's Quarter Pounder, either. So, I was surprised when I saw what was actually in my bran muffin. I mean, I'd seen the info on the Frappucino, and I can't say I was all that surprised to see that they're caloric and fatty. I knew my bran muffin wasn't health food, exactly. I expected some fat and a fair amount of sugar. Still and all...
Starbucks Bran MuffinQuarter Pounder
Serving Size (g)
128169
Calories410410
Fat (g)2219
Sat Fat (g)
77
Trans Fat (g)01
Cholesterol (mg)9065
Dietary Fiber (g)53
Protein (g)824
Calcium (% RDA)2%4%
Iron (% RDA)15%20%

Does that mean that the bran muffin is just about as bad for you as the Quarter Pounder? Doesn't make sense, but it sure looks like it. The Quarter Pounder _did_ have 1g of Trans Fat that the bran muffin didn't have, and less dietary fiber. Perhaps the difference is in antioxidants or the polyphenols or some other new kind of nutrient I've never heard of or in the way it's metabolized or something.

I guess the moral of the story is buyer beware, especially when it comes to prepared food. I'm kind of afraid to think about the Whole Foods salad bar...

Anyway. Make of it what you will.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, I'm eating one as I type this - what a comparison!! thanks for putting that together. It wasn't easy to find and I was originally looking for the ingredients list, which I now see lists "Brown Sugar" as the FIRST ingredient. Good to know.

Unknown said...

they took the pom bran muffin off their menu for several months where i live and i missed it dearly. today was the first day i saw them back. i bought one immediately. it was just as delcioius as i remember. i went lookig for a recipe on how to make them. then i saw this. my jaw kept dropping as i scanned down t he nutritional facts list. it's so tue what you say about prepared foods... BEWARE!!!